The default thinking is that, as a barn owner or grower, the latest wireless technology isn’t reliable when it comes to connectivity in the rural areas in which we live and work. Furthermore, all the equipment inside the barn sits under a steel roof and there’s little to no chance of getting a consistent signal. In rural communities one or two cell providers dominate a region, and whether their service is good or bad, that’s who we are stuck with. So subsequently, many producers are still using a dedicated phone line for our barns to dial out in case of an emergency. Given these conditions, there is certainly room for improvement!
So why haven’t the barn alarm manufactures provided anything new over the last decade that is truly a leap in innovation? The only improvement I have seen is a touch screen placed on the monitoring device in the barn, which adds no value to a system that is supposed to give you visibility --- and peace of mind -- when you’re not in the barn. Ironic, don’t you think?
Say goodbye to antiquated alarm systems
As pork producers, we knew that was a better way to protect our most important assets...our animals and our facilities. So, we developed BarnTalk, the next generation of SMART barn monitoring and alarm system technology that has overcome the rural connectivity barrier. We now monitor our livestock facilities with affordable and dependable wireless technology. Before I give you any more details, let me answer a few of those top-of-mind questions you might be thinking about:
- No, you don’t have to setup up internet
- Yes, it works under the steel roof barn in rural areas
- Yes, it works through the walls inside the barn
- No, you don’t have to get a hotspot or get a data plan with a mobile carrier
- No, you don’t have to hire an electrician, wireless installation is easy, and you’ll be up and running in less than two hours
We’ve built a next-generation smart alarm and monitoring system for swine and poultry producers to remotely monitor their barn environments with full visibility from their phone. The BarnTalk app is super user friendly, intuitive, and shows real-time data from all of your barns, including power status, internal temperature, external temperature, humidity and water consumption. It can also be shared with anyone in your circle, employees, neighbors, etc., allowing you to easily build and prioritize the call-tree for emergencies. Long gone are the days of touchtone dial-outs and no visibility to who is responding to an emergency.
How it works
- Arrives at your door already connected to cell service, no need to set up internet service
- You always have the strongest connection to a cell signal — if a signal becomes weak or fails, BarnTalk automatically connects to a stronger network or tower, regardless of mobile carrier
- Designed to consistently work under thick metal roofs and/or walls
- Built-in back-up battery provides 24-plus hours of extended power
- Only a miniscule amount of data is transmitted to the cloud, so the system never gets overloaded or delayed
- The sensors in the barn are wireless, no install cost, and use LORA technology that has a 1-mile range in a clear line of sight – this means no issues in a 600 ft barn site with walls.
We are producers helping other producers maximize productivity and sleep better at night!
BarnTalk is launching summer of 2021 – Sign-up for BarnTalk updates and product availability notifications.