BarnTools is a rapidly growing innovative animal AgTech company specializing in improving the swine and poultry industries. BarnTalk is our wireless alarm systems for agricultural facilities. Our culture is built on teamwork and trust. Headquartered in Urbandale, IA, we are interested in highly qualified candidates to join our global team.
BarnTools is looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to deliver world-class software to our customers. We want you to work with us to ensure a responsive, rich, evolving solution. We care deeply about code quality and elegant engineering, so we need your experience to establish and maintain best practices. If you feel comfortable empowering fellow team members to own their code, guide their standards for delivery, and are willing to get your own hands dirty, this is the place to be.
Our alarm system is an IoT device that connects via cellular, and our customers are farmers and producers. Our products connect in rural areas and managing existing and future services and technologies to create a reliable alarm is our mission. The data we collect is consumed by our mobile app, web app, and third parties. This is an exciting business as we are disrupting animal agriculture.
· A self-starter who is self-managed and adapts to changes easily
· Independent, organized, self-disciplined, and motivated.
· Able to collaborate and communicate across functional teams
· Skilled in the foundations that power the web, from Azure and AWS to TypeScript and CSS.
· An active leader on developing scalable, high-quality services
· Have a strong understanding of the principles surrounding an excellent stakeholder experience
· Knowledgeable of cross-browser compatibility, progressive enhancement, graceful degradation, and responsive layout
· Passionate about designing the best architectural patterns and tools that other engineers will use
· Dedicated to testing your code inside and out; features are done only when tested with automation
· Driven to work in a fast-paced startup environment
· Humble but willing to fight for the best ideas, even if they might not be yours
· Work with your team to maximize customer value through sincere, collaborative discussion across the entire company
· Explore new technologies and incorporate them into our stack
· Mentor and grow with your teammates
· Focus on continual quality improvement and testing best practices
· Review other people’s code
· Learn new skills as required
· Balance product performance with resource allocation
· Be an active leader in developing scalable, user-facing features
Experience and Qualifications:
· Equivalent work experience or bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Software Development, Computer Science, Management Information Systems.
· Demonstrable success building SaaS products in the cloud
· At least 5 years of experience delivering product value in a full-stack capacity
· At least 2 years working with production cloud deployments (AWS or Azure experience is a plus)
· Strong experience in mobile-first and/or API-first service methodologies
· Great communication skills
· Permission to work in the United States
· Docker and microservice architecture experience
· A background or hobbies related to our market (animal agriculture, smart devices)
· Experience working in an agile environment
Additional information about our current technology
· A mix of Java, Kotlin, .NET, but we are evolving our stack to be Node-based.
· In Azure, but most of our experience is in AWS, so things may change…
· Persisted in MSSQL and Cosmos DB
· Deployed from code with things like Bicep, CloudFormation, and Terraform
What we offer:
· Great Culture
· Decidedly “un-corporate”. We do not have rigid roles, but we do have a lot to do
· Great mixture of deep technical expertise and broad experience with technology, startups, and building innovative scalable products
· We are a diverse group of talented individuals at all stages of life, some who have lived all over the world
· Always thinking outside the box (what box? ;))
· Flexible with hours
· An exciting, fast-paced work environment where your ideas can be acted on swiftly. We default to action!
· Be part of a team that is disrupting and transforming the industry every day. Connecting the world's farms will allow sweeping changes across the industry
· Our Leaders are serious about growing the company and mentoring every employee and believe that supporting and investing in our people in one of the smartest things we can do
· You will interact with the co-founders who are passionate about the business and bring a rich mix of vision and execution. They are transparent, professional, and intentional about creating a safe, engaging place to work
· Work from Home (US based) or our office in Urbandale, Iowa (moving to the Aurora Business Park in December)
· $500 home office reimbursement (we provide a computer)
· Competitive health plans (medical, dental, & vision insurance)
· Competitive salaries
· Employee bonus pool eligibility
· Stock Options
· PTO - we do not track vacation or PTO days. (Take the time you need to balance life and work with the expectation you will coordinate with the team)
· Paid Parental Leave
· Paid career development opportunities
· BarnTools Swag
· Advancement opportunities based on results, not politics
Come join our growing team and get in on the ground floor of a special opportunity to bring innovative technology to those that feed the world!
Apply by emailing - email@example.com