BarnTools is a rapidly growing innovative animal AgTech company specializing in improving the swine and poultry industries. BarnTalk is our wireless alarm systems for agricultural facilities. Our culture is built on teamwork and trust. Headquartered in Urbandale, IA, we are interested in highly qualified candidates to join our global team.
We are looking for an Embedded Systems Engineer to be part of a team to conceive, design, develop and test embedded modules, hardware, and software solutions. This role will focus on the development of hardware based wireless products, assuming responsibility for product design, development, and certification for the industrial, commercial, and IoT markets.
Our alarm system is an IoT device that connects via cellular, and our customers are farmers and producers. Our products connect in rural areas and managing existing and future services and technologies to create a reliable alarm is our mission. The ideal candidate is proactive, innovative, and passionate about the industry and our product. The successful candidate will constantly strive to help improve our products and exceed customer expectations.
· A self-starter who is self-managed and adapts to changes easily
· Independent, organized, self-disciplined, and motivated.
· Able to collaborate and communicate across functional teams
· Skilled in the foundations that power the web, from Azure and AWS to TypeScript and CSS.
· An active leader on developing scalable, high-quality services
· Have a strong understanding of the principles surrounding an excellent stakeholder experience
· Knowledgeable of cross-browser compatibility, progressive enhancement, graceful degradation, and responsive layout
· Passionate about designing the best architectural patterns and tools that other engineers will use
· Dedicated to testing your code inside and out; features are done only when tested with automation
· Driven to work in a fast-paced startup environment
· Humble but willing to fight for the best ideas, even if they might not be yours
· Develop, debug, and test embedded firmware for ARM core processor architectures and applications
· Design and implement data interfaces between embedded devices and mobile and desktop applications
· Develop low-level Interface with a wide range of embedded hardware peripheral devices, such as sensors, EEPROMs, etc…
· Create unit, module, and system level test scripts and test plans
· Participate in the development and maintenance of custom tools to support firmware development
Experience and Qualifications:
· Engineering degree or 5+ years’ experience in embedded systems and/or communications
· Experience architecting embedded firmware solutions; ARM based processors preferred
· Proficiency in embedded device programing using C
· Experience with hardware-level software development, including timers, interrupts, and hardware peripherals, such as SPI , I2C, ADC, etc…
· Hardware-level debug experience, including familiarity with tools, such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, etc
· Familiarity with RF module/system implementation
· Able to provide guidance on antenna selection and antenna engineering projects
· Familiar with basic cellular AT commands and ability to learn module specific AT commands that are relevant to BarnTools hardware
· Experience in characterizing and improving wireless performance
· Be familiar with Git, software design and development methodology, development processes
· Background with wireless networking protocols like ZigBee, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS modules, GPS modules, LORA, etc.
What we offer:
· Great Culture
· Decidedly “un-corporate”. We do not have rigid roles, but we do have a lot to do
· Great mixture of deep technical expertise and broad experience with technology, startups, and building innovative scalable products
· We are a diverse group of talented individuals at all stages of life, some who have lived all over the world
· Always thinking outside the box (what box? ;))
· Flexible with hours
· An exciting, fast-paced work environment where your ideas can be acted on swiftly. We default to action!
· Be part of a team that is disrupting and transforming the industry every day. Connecting the world's farms will allow sweeping changes across the industry
· Our Leaders are serious about growing the company and mentoring every employee and believe that supporting and investing in our people in one of the smartest things we can do
· You will interact with the co-founders who are passionate about the business and bring a rich mix of vision and execution. They are transparent, professional, and intentional about creating a safe, engaging place to work
· Work from Home (US based) or our office in Urbandale, Iowa (moving to the Aurora Business Park in December)
· $500 home office reimbursement (we provide a computer)
· Competitive health plans (medical, dental, & vision insurance)
· Competitive salaries
· Employee bonus pool eligibility
· Stock Options
· PTO - we do not track vacation or PTO days. (Take the time you need to balance life and work with the expectation you will coordinate with the team)
· Paid Parental Leave
· Paid career development opportunities
· BarnTools Swag
· Advancement opportunities based on results, not politics
Come join our growing team and get in on the ground floor of a special opportunity to bring innovative technology to those that feed the world!
Apply by emailing - firstname.lastname@example.org